|Monsanto Co-op||September 25, 2008|
The co-op periods are January - June and June - December and the complete job description is below.
Usability, Design & Analytics Co-op
Monsanto's Usability, Design & Analytics team conducts user research and provides user-centered design for applications and websites, both internal and external. This co-op position will assist team members as described below.
· Preparing for and conducting usability studies, which the team conducts either in-person or remotely. This may include:
· Screening and scheduling evaluators, note taking, managing the observation room and ensuring efficient recap meetings and smooth transitions.
· Help analyze and report on user evaluation results
· Critique designs based on knowledge of best practices
· Make design recommendations based on expertise and the collected data
· Draft wireframes, navigation maps and other project deliverables
· Assisting with special projects, such as presentations, the team website, promotional events, etc.
· Manipulate images and website elements per client request, utilizing standard design tools: Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
· Assist with collection of website traffic data and reporting of same. This may include manipulating data in spreadsheets. (Monsanto uses WebTrends for its analytics needs.)
Pursuit of formal education in user research/experience, psychology/human factors, info/interface design or related fields.
· A strong command of a range of usability and design techniques including formal usability testing, heuristic evaluation, paper prototyping, comparative testing, focus groups, design session, facilitation, task analysis, conceptual design and surveys.
· Knowledge of HTML, CSS and design tools such as those in Adobe Creative Suite. Note: This co-op position focuses primarily on usability, but knowledge of design tools would be very beneficial as the design team often has "overflow" work.
· The ability to work effectively within a team environment
· The ability to manage and prioritize projects
Interested students can apply to:
University Recruiter, Monsanto
|Microsoft - Meet the Company||September 18, 2008|
Tuesday, September 23rd, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Danforth University Center, Room 234
Imagine having the resources to impact tomorrow's reality today - and having fun while you do it. That's Microsoft. People here love their work because they get to think big and dream big. Right now we're looking for the next generation of Microsoft innovators. If you have talent and a passion for technology, this could be your big moment. Come find out more about our Fulltime and Internship opportunities and the area of Seattle!
Bring your resume and enter for a chance to win a Zune and other great prizes.
Appetizers and Chocolate Fondue will be served.
|CSE Alumni Talk||September 14, 2008|
What IT Careers are Out There? (Oh yeah, and free lunch)
When: Thursday, Sept. 18, 11:30 AM
Where: Bryan 509C
Grant Ecker, a Wash U 2002 CS graduate, will be presenting on industry careers in IT. He'll highlight various roles he's held within General Mills, and cover the general range of non-company specific careers available within the IT field.
Grant is an IT project manager supporting the Engineering area at General Mills leading projects totaling over $1 million in annual spend and a current MBA student at the Carlson School of Management. Grant has held previous roles in the Consumer Internet, RFID, Manufacturing/Quality and Packaging areas and is involved in several company-sponsored community outreach programs. Prior to his time at General Mills, Grant was a co-author or the Simbryo publication, a flash-based animated embryology application, published by LWW in March, 2003 both as a stand-alone product and bundled with the #1 selling embryology textbook, Langman's Medical Embryology 9th Ed which was republished with the 10th (and current) textbook edition.
Please bring your questions about what to expect in industry IT careers and if you have questions about General Mills in particular! One-on-one meetings are also available upon request.
Control and Information Systems